- What is the difference between an Employee Proprietary Information Agreement and a Confidentiality and Inventions Assignment Agreement?
- Why should I get a trademark registration?
- When can I file a trademark application?
- Does my U.S. trademark registration protect me in other countries?
- Is having the .com enough to secure a trademark?
- Do I have a trademark or a copyright?
- How do I protect IP created by contractors and volunteers before I incorporate?
- SCOR Registration — an alternative to 2023 Crowdfunding?
- Washington Crowdfunding – Is it right for your Company?
- What are anti-dilution protective covenants?
- What is dilution? What is a fully-diluted cap table?
- What is pre-money value? How do you calculate it?
- Startup Company Valuation and Dilution Calculator
- Invest Visa/Entrepreneur Visa Chart (Startup Visa, EB6, X-visa)
- Startup Visa Provisions under Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill 2013!
- Why We Need Start-Up Visa Laws for Immigrant Entrepreneurs
- Entrepreneur in Residence: Entrepreneur Pathways by USCIS
- What is an H-1B visa?
- What visa options are available for working at a start-up company?
- Why is immigration law important for a start-up company?
- What is Start-Up Act 2.0? (Immigration Bill for Entrepreneurs)
- Do S corporations need to pay employment tax?
- Should I create a C-Corporation?
- Should I create a limited liability company (LLC)?
- Should I create a partnership?
- How important is it for the new entrepreneur to pick the right entity structure for tax purposes?
- What type of entity should I choose, LLC, C corporation, or S corporation?
Plain English Legal Documents
Our Next Workshop:
On October 9th Carter will be giving a lecture on the new Washington Crowdfunding law to Washington Small Business Development Center Advisers. The meeting qualifies for CLE credit for Washington lawyers, who are invited. If you are a lawyer and interested in attending the CLE, please contact … [Read More...]
List of Upcoming Events
Save the date! Tuesday, July 29, 2014 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (PDT) Impact Hub, Kirkland Washington If you missed last month's startup legal documents webinar you have a second chance. Carter has … [Read More...]
Save the date! June 19, 2014, 5:00-6:00 pm. What legal documentation do you need to start a company? On Thursday, June 19, 2014, Carter will host a webinar reviewing the legal documentation that … [Read More...]
On May 20, 2014 Carter will be presenting on Top Legal Pitfalls at the Keiretsu Forum Academy in Seattle. The Building a Fundable Company program is four days and covers all the bases of creating a … [Read More...]
What is the difference between common stock, participating preferred stock, non-participating preferred stock, bridge notes, and convertible notes with valuation caps? We will be explaining these … [Read More...]
At our Startup Law Talk workshop on September 9, 2013 we discussed the issued raised when founders work together on their startup before actually incorporating a legal entity. Before a tech startup … [Read More...]
Employees are essential to growing a healthy business, but poor human resource management or failure to comply with regulatory requirements can be one of the most significant expenses dragging your … [Read More...]
The newly proposed Invest Visa, formerly known as the Startup Visa, creates two new visa categories: X-visa and EB6 visa. Here is a visual aid to understanding it better. In my opinion, this is an … [Read More...]
Company valuation and dilution – The minimum you must know to set up your company and raise capital.
How should company stock be allocated among founders, employee stock options, and financial investors? What happens to everyone’s share of the company when new stock is issued? How do you know how … [Read More...]
Stuck on H1b, F1 or Other Visa? Want Your Own Startup? Newly Proposed Startup Act (Invest Visa) May help! Come Learn More!
A bill for Comprehensive Immigration reform “The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act” was released two weeks ago. The bill specifically addresses provisions for … [Read More...]
At our March Workshop held at Eastside Incubator we had a lively discussion on the following topics: Basics of IP – how to know the difference between trademarks, copyrights, and patents. IP … [Read More...]
Our workshop equity compensation basics was on February 11, 2013 at Eastside Incubator in Redmond, our regular venue. We had a full house with 40 people in attendance. The following topics were … [Read More...]
December's monthly STL Workshop was on Startup "Legal War Stories". STL's four presenters led a lively discussion, each presenting one startup case were painful problems could have been avoided by … [Read More...]
H1b and the Startup Held on January 14, 2013, 5:30-8pm. Tahmina Watson presented on the fundamentals of an H1b visa petition, as well as H1b for the consultancy company and the self-employed … [Read More...]
Last minute change from H1b and the Startup Save the date! November 12, 2012, 5:30-8pm. Due do unexpected circumstances beyond her control, Tahmina Watson postponed her presentation on the H1b Visa … [Read More...]
This workshop, held on June 7, was well-attended. If you were there and have follow-up questions, feel free to post in the comments section. This workshop is for entrepreneurs who are thinking about … [Read More...]
Note: This Workshop was held on October 8, 2012 at Eastside Incubator at their workspace in Redmond. We worked through a form Independent Contractor Agreement that you can download here. Deniz … [Read More...]